Monday, April 15, 2013

Exercise of the day: Handstand Push Ups (HSPU) Against the wall

No matter how heavy you shoulder press, HSPU still one great bodyweight exercise for shoulders.

HSPU can be performed with support against the wall or without support. I will post about unsupported HSPU as soon as I am able to do it, wish me luck :D

HSPU against the wall is not a difficult exercise, you just need to be carful not to arch your back excessively nor falling on your head of course.

You may feel high pressure in your head when you are upside down or a little dizzy after you get down the first few times you do or try to do the exercise.

You should be abl to do a decent number of regular chest push ups and dive bomber push ups in order to start performing HSPU.

For me, I began with working on handstands against the wall which took me only few tries in one session to achieve. Then I began to perform the push up which took me aslo few tries to perform one. Since then I've been performing this exercise in many of my workouts.

Now, I'm working on unsupported handsatnds, crow pose and tripod pose, preparing to work on unsupported HSPU.



working on my free handstand
working on crow pose


This video uploaded on youtube by gbodyweighttraining showing how to HSPU against the wall.



Strict or kipping HSPU?

I always do strict HSPU, I think the only reason to do kipping ones is that you are competing in Crossfit games, kipping HSPU help you to do more reps in AMRAP games or to finish faster in for time games, other wise, strict HSPU are better than kipping ones for working your shoulders and increasing strength keeping your muscles flexed, core tight and your whole body rigid while pushing up.

This picture shows my start position, my half way to the floor, then my full range of movement when my head touches the floor.

Notice my bare feet, my wife wouldn't let me do HSPU against the wall with my sports shoes on. :D




HSPU against the wall
Thank you
IR.

No comments:

Post a Comment